- Initiate patient care
- Provide to patients who require increased dosing for loading
- Provide to patients who cannot afford the product
Preprinted prescription pads are also available upon request.
- Mail a request on office letterhead to:
BTR Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 501
Pittsfield, IL 62363
Our warehouse will ship the product.
LOADING & DESIRABLE LEVELS
- Serum 25(OH)D <18-20 ng/ml: 10,000 IU (1 gel cap) daily for 30 days, then 20,000 IU (2 gel caps) weekly
- Serum 25(OH)D >20 ng/ml: 20,000 IU (2 gel caps) weekly
- Then reassess 25 (OH)D levels after 12 weeks.
These recommendations apply only to Maximum D3®.
The ideal range is generally between 30 and 60ng/ml of 25(OH) cholecalciferol.
It is generally recognized that the minimal blood level needed to prevent overt bone disease is 20 ng/ml.
Good evidence exists for a risk of overt bone disease (osteomalacia, Rickets) with levels below 20 ng/ml. There is decent evidence for suboptimal calcium absorption with levels below 32 ng/ml. Primitive sun-exposed populations have 25(OH)D levels predominantly in the 40-60 ng/ml range.
Toxicity from short-term exposure requires levels near or above 150 ng/ml. Studies to assess the long-term safety of levels from 80 to 150 ng/ml are lacking. The Institute of Medicine recommends against doses averaging above 4,000 IU/day in unsupervised patients. The above recommendation is based on lack of evidence for additional benefit, limited data for adverse effect and uncertainty over toxicity from chronic use.